Friday 27 May 2016

WHY I WRITE - Robert Eldon



Why do I write?

We were having our first project team meeting in an office in Queen Anne’s Gate. The Home Office official had spent over an hour describing the project in excruciating detail, and not just the project, but his own (in his view absolutely pivotal) part in originating, designing and placing that project, and indeed all the significant events of his life to date that so fitted him to be the leader of that project. He continued in microscopic detail to tell us exactly what the role and tasks of our Unit within that project were to be. Suddenly our Unit Director, Brian, began to speak over him.
‘Do you know,’ he said, ‘that there is a thriving export trade in used car tyres between the UK and West Africa? Over there they cut the rubber bits up and use them to make the soles of sandals. Isn’t that ingenious? And of course, in Eastern Europe they recycle the car tyres by putting them on horse drawn vehicles for use on the roads. You see it in all the rural areas, and in many cities come to that.’

There was a silence, Brian looked at our host and said, ‘You were saying ….’
I should clarify that our meeting and the project it concerned had absolutely nothing to do with used car tyres, trade with West Africa or sandals.

Later as we walked back to St James’ tube station, Phil asked Brian, ‘what was all that about tyres?’
Brian smiled, ‘well, you take so much in for so long and then you’ve just got to let something out.’

And I think that’s one reason I started writing short stories and poetry and now my first novel. I’d been taking in so much for so many years.
All those years of reading other people’s work, whether fiction or non-fiction.

I didn’t grow up in a book-ish household. My first reading memory is of trying to pronounce the words on the backs of cereal packets, ‘Riboflavin’, was an early favourite. From there I progressed by devouring the shelves of my local branch library – initially, inevitably, Enid Blyton but then W.E. Johns, Arthur Ransome, John Buchan, those yellow Gollancz Sci-Fi titles, then books on politics, books on history, and then later the humour, James Thurber and Giovanni Guareschi. It all went in, and somehow it got absorbed.
And it wasn’t just books, and it wasn’t all reading – there was radio, ‘Round the Horne’, ‘I’m Sorry I’ll Read that Again’, all contributing to my love of words and wordplay. There were films and there was television, and I started to think in ‘scenes’, to see stories as sequences of pictures.

Of course I did write. After University I joined the Civil Service and I was taught to write reports by my elders and betters. ‘Keep it balanced. Avoid any trace of passion or enthusiasm. Avoid expressing personal opinions. Moderate language at all times.’  They should have borrowed that line from Joe Friday in ‘Dragnet’ – ‘just the facts, ma’am, just the facts.’
I wrote articles for serious professional journals about topics such as public conveniences and solid waste incinerators. Once, an odd break, I got asked to draw a cartoon to accompany an article about toilets called ‘Ladies, Gentlemen and Vandals’, the fee for which made me, the odd one out in a family of visual artists, for a time the person making most money out of art.

And why did I write? To promote my research group and to promote my own career, an exercise in marketing. What was the term? – AIDA – make them Aware of you, Interest them in your material, make them Desire to learn more, encourage them to take the Action you want. A simple mantra but effective.
For a while, I was actually the editor of the journal of my professional body, in which capacity I also ‘ghost-wrote’ a series which purported to be written by an attractive, twenty-something female making her way in our profession, (her ‘photo appeared at the head of each quarter’s column) The first couple actually had been but she quickly bored of it, and so I took it on, becoming a kind of literary Grayson Perry, a transvestite of the columns. Hiding behind this ‘fictional’ persona gave me the freedom to comment on a range of topics and poke fun at a few very senior people. It was very liberating! All went well until we published a photo of the real young lady at the Institute’s Annual Ball in a low-cut (though perfectly decent) ball gown. We were accused of ‘lowering the tone’. Although I did receive a number of requests for copies of the photo from members!

And now I’m in retirement, I no longer have to devote my time and energy to earning a living. If I write now it’s no longer to meet the expectations and strictures of others but to satisfy my own desire to say certain things, whether that’s through a letter to a magazine or an article in a journal or a poem read out at a writing group or a short story entered in a competition.
And finally I’ve begun work on a novel, that, in a way, links some of my earliest reading such as (Buchan’s ‘Island of Sheep’) with things I’m reading now like the Icelandic novels of Arnaldur Indridasson.

And why am I writing now? I don’t need to impress some employer. I’m not writing to make a living, I have enough. I’m not even writing to gain the approval or acclaim of others, though that is always a bonus and gratefully received as confirmation I’m treading the right road, a necessary boost to sometimes flagging self-confidence.
No, I’m writing for me. There’s a phrase in management theory, ‘Intrinsic Rewards’, the things that you receive internally, that you give to yourself. It’s the reward that comes from improving your skills, from growing as a writer. It’s that feeling of having achieved something of importance to yourself, and of having done it well, having done it to the best of your ability. And in the end, that’s why I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment